Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Somtimes, you should listen to the little voices in your head.

Tonight was one of those nights where everything that could go wrong with a project did... an spectacularly so. I managed to burn my hands, my arm hair, and buy a tool I already had.
This project actually is a result of my ongoing sprinkler installation, and happened because I located the main waterline with the pick ax last week. Who knew that the #%##^#^ that installed the new waterline would put it three inches below the surface where I would mistake it for a rock, that was until the "rock" started trickling water. since I just dented it where the pipe goes into an elbow, and it was a very small leak, I decided to ignore it and continue my sprinkler line and get to it later or I secretly hoped it would plug itself up. Well, I decided that today was the day I was going to fix the bugger, and on the way home, something told me to put it off another day. I ignored that thought and went to Home Depot, got my copper fittings, came home, turned off the water , dug up the line and set to work heating the joint so I could pop off the solder..and so 20 minutes later the solder still had not popped and so I resorted to cutting the pipe on one end thinking I could heat the joint and wiggle it off. after another 20 minutes the elbow actually deformed and started to soften from the heat, but it was firmly attached to the other line, which could not be cut because it runs under the sidewalk. I was using another piece of copper pipe slipped into the cut off side, but it heated up and burned my hand. Finally, the cut off side Fell off because of the heat and used a pair of pliers to wrench the ^%^^&$^$ elbow off, and finally, after all that it came off a twisted and contorted mess. So, it now being 7:15pm, I cut the new section, prepped the surfaces for soldering, and slipped them onto the pipes in the ground. I had incorrectly measured a bit, so it all came off, got re-cut and went back on, ready to be soldered. I fire up the torch, and as I tip it to touch the fittings, a FIREBALL comes up and singes my arm hair. No matter how may times I take the head of the torch off, blow it out, etc it shoot out flames. Thinking I am maybe running out of gas, I get another canister from the basement and encounter the same issue. At this point is almost 8PM and with no water so in a panic, I got back to Home Depot, buy a new torch, get back, and the new one does the same thing. I try a variety of positions and it finally starts working normally, all though the flame is not as consistent and keeps blowing out. I solder the four joints, and then turn on the water - now the trickle is a dribble in a different spot and I am DONE for the night since its slightly better than before.. I think I will try again next week.....In the meantime, back to digging trenches for sprinklers and pulling up more rocks.....

No comments: