Monday, April 13, 2009

Milestone

Well, I am now at the halfway point! 2.5 inches up and 2.5 inches to go - The bathroom door now actually closes, latches and locks... a first since we moved in. The bedroom doors are not there yet, but soon they to will close and latch...The next step is to start digging the footings for the permanent posts, which is not going to be much fun. I am planning to go down at least 16 inches to make sure they are very well anchored. With this project in progress, I am formulating the next project - replacing the hardwood floors in the dining room and hallway. I was fortunate to get my hands on 5000 square feet of vintage oak floors that matches what is already here. I replaced three quarters of the oak floors in the front room in Long Beach, and so I already own a floor nailer and have had lots of practice. Below is the picture of the floor prior to sanding. I mixed the existing floorboards with the "new" ones so I could keep as much of the original as possible. Here the floor is really shot so I suspect I won't be able to reuse much. I may use the original flooring to patch the damaged boards in the living room. When they installed new wiring, they ran steel conduit through the floor and bolted the outlets on top of the baseboards. One of the near future projects will be to redo all the outlets and move them into the wall. At the same time I will add a few more and relocate some of the oddly placed ones. The projects continue.

No comments: