Monday, September 27, 2010

Outdoor progress...

So over the past few weeks we have been building a storage shed in the backyard - A gift from my Dad. The original plan was to build it from scratch, but we stumbled across a perfect kit at Home Depot that was less than the cost of materials, and actually looks really good - It looked and was scaled like a 1920's garage. We spent the time with my dad getting the structure built, and then he and Steve emptied out a rented storage unit, which will save us quite a bit of money.

The next phase of the project is for me to add craftsman brackets and a wide overhang so it matches the house - The kit roof had no overhangs, so we extended the roof off the sides a foot and the front and back 14 inches. I will be making some fake rafter tails and we got some fake beadboard that I will attach under the overhangs so it matches the house. The brackets will be smaller versions on the one on the house, and I will also make new door trim to match. So much more to do!

I also had a little mishap this weekend with the sprinklers, again! I installed all of the sprinklers, but one of the ones in the lawn is set too high, and I have it adjusted as far down as it can go, but it still gets caught on the lawnmower and snaps off - This has now happened a few times and I always have a nightmare getting the broken nipple out of the pipe - So today I decided to google "sprinkler extractor" and low and behold, they make a tool called nipple extractor that is designed to grip and remove the broken stub, and is only $3.95.... Mind you up to this point it had taken me 45 minutes to an hour to get the broken piece out. I had given up yesterday afternoon so I will be picking a nipple extractor on the way home....

No comments: