Friday, August 17, 2007

Tearing through the checklist...

Today I worked half day so we could get a head start on the house. We were VERY productive, me getting all of the five boarded up windows replaced, and Steve demolishing the hideous enclosed porch...Wow, the house looks so different! Here is a before and after with Steve and his best friend David. Please note the Photos were taken before I finished the front window, and it was too dark to take and after, but believe me it looks like somebody actually lives there now. I also discovered the original window sash color - dark forest green. I was planning for black sashes, but the green would also work for the color scheme I was planning - Dark Brown siding and white trim.
We also discovered more rats nests around the built in in the dinning room - they have chewed though the back and sides, and at various times throughout the house's history, it has been patched with tin, plywood, cardboard. Steve thinks there are more nests behind the wall, so we are thinking we should pull out the built in and clean it all up. We have taken out three trash bags worth of rats nests and garbage that was stuffed in the flimsy wall and china cabinet, and the stench as lessened considerably. but there is still an odor coming from the wall behind and next to the china closet. Now with the wall out and the debris swept up, the dining room is really starting to look good- I just Love Love Love that room - its what sold me on the house in the first place.
Here are a few before and during picture to show the dramatic changes already:















We will be taking a break for the weekend, as I have some stuff I have to get done on the Long Beach house - I have some restored windows to install and the last three security bars to remove from the front windows. It took me five years, but I restored all eleven windows back to pristine 1923 condition. At some point, I will need to do the same on the new houses windows, but I will settle for just having glass an being able to open them for now!

No comments: